Basic Nursing Assistant
Start your health service career.
About the Basic Nursing Assistant Program
This 155-hour training course is approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN). It consists of 80 hours on-campus classroom and lab and 75 hours of clinical in a long-term care facility. Successful completion qualifies individuals to take the Nurse Assistant Competency Evaluation test for state certification as a Nursing Assistant.
The Basic Nursing Assistant course is a non-credit course offered year round on Chemeketa's Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses.
The Salem Campus class is usually offered Summer, Fall, and Winter terms. Currently, with restrictions and guidelines in place due to COVID-19, we have reduced our class size and schedule is subject to change every term.
The Yamhill Valley Campus class is offered Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring Terms each year –
Classroom/Lab:8am-1:30pm and Clinical: 7am-1:15pm. Both are Monday through Friday. Schedule subject to change.
SALEM CAMPUS APPLICATION
- Download and complete the 2022-2023 Salem Campus BNA Application
- Please see table below for application submission dates.
- Submit your completed application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person Building 8, Room 104 Salem Campus.
Salem Campus Deadlines for Submitting Applications
Deadline to submit required immunizations
March 28-May 31, 2022
June 21, 2022
June 21-September 1, 2022
September 26, 2022
November 7-December 12, 2022
January 9, 2023
No course offering spring term.
YAMHILL VALLEY APPLICATION
Yamhill Valley Campus Information
The next time we will start a class is summer term 2022. Download the application below.
Applications are accepted via scan/fax/email, or in person at the Yamhill Valley Campus. Once your application is received, you will be notified via email.
There are 10 spots for the class, and completed applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis- the addresses are below:
Fax Number: 503.584.7546
Application Deadlines Term Acceptance Start Date Acceptance End Date* Summer 2022 Now June 10, 2022 or until full Fall 2022 Will be posted by 6/30/22 Sept 16, 2022 or until full
If you have questions, please email Yamhill Valley Campus Career Tech Ed Programs.
Criminal Background Check Requirements
Upon entry into the program, you will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Failure to complete the background check or a background check revealing a disqualifying criminal history will mean you are ineligible to participate in the BNA course.
Disqualifying crimes can be found in the Oregon Department of Human Services Aging & People with Disabilities and Developmental Disabilities ORS 443.004/OAR 407.007.0275 Crimes list. For more information and more in-depth list, click here.
For licensure with the Oregon State Board of Nursing, please visit the following links for DHS and OSBN's criminal history requirements.
- Oregon Department of Human Services criminal history requirements and policies, located in Division 7
- Oregon Board of Nursing’s criminal history requirements and policies, found in Division 1 of the Nurse Practice Act
Total cost for the BNA program at both the Salem and Yamhill Valley campuses is $1,412. Costs are subject to change. They include –
- Tuition and fees
- Scrubs for clinical, stethoscope, gait belt, etc.
Non-credit courses are not eligible for financial aid
Some of our offerings are offered at a lower cost because they are grant funded.
Students will be required to pay for –
- A background check – approx. $45
- Required drug testing – approx. $45
- Immunizations – cost varies
- CPR training – cost varies
- Parking pass – approx. $25
After course completion, you will be responsible for testing fees for the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN) include –
- Application to test – $106
- Fingerprinting – $64.50
- Chemeketa student identification number and Chemeketa email address
- Successful completion of RD 080 and RD085 or RD090 with a C or higher or placement into RD115 via Chemeketa's placement test or proof of completing an Associate Degree or equivalent credits or higher
- Successful completion of CPR Certification - American Heart Association "BLS Provider Level"
- Attendance at mandatory orientation, passing the criminal background check and required drug screen, and completing required immunizations
- Mandatory orientation for applicants accepted into the class
- Commitment to being at every class session and clinical session
- Reliable transportation
Instructions on how to complete background check and drug screen will be given to accepted applicants only.
For more information call the Health Sciences Dept at 503.399.5058.